img Cobble Hill: 347-844-9699, Park Slope: 718-622-1203, Brooklyn Heights: 347-799-2682
Request a Tour. Email Us: carmelo@brooklynpreschoolofscience.com


Bpos 2020- 2021 Covid-19 Safety Plans

Posted on June 16, 2020 by WebSiteAdmin

First, let me thank you for your support and understanding as we, as a nation and community, responded to the unexpected invasion of COVID-19 in March. I am very proud of the way our BPOS students, parents, employees, and community leaders handled the demands we were faced with to protect everyone as we continued to educate our students during the most unusual of circumstances. As you know, there continues to be concerns and questions related to how schools plan to reopen in September 2020. While we are in the business of educating, our first priority is the safety of our students and our employees. Be assured, we have been working diligently on our BPOS 2020- 2021 COVID-19 SAFETY PLANS.  I have attached the addendum for you to review.  We will continue to develop our reopening safety plan and once the City of New York issues their reopening guidelines, we will finalize it.

Our current plan remains to open the Brooklyn Preschool of Science after Labor Day, as we generally do. Our goal is to begin our phase-in process on Wednesday, September 9th.  In the case of an unavoidable delay in opening, we will first look to shift our entire calendar, starting later in the fall and ending later into the summer. We may also remain open through the February break.  My goal is to find creative solutions that are fair and balanced to us all.  I have discussed this plan with many of you and if you would like to set up a time to speak with me, please feel free to contact me and I will be happy to set up a meeting.

We are gathering input from parents, employees, administrators, state leaders, the Department of Health, and medical professionals via surveys, committees, and a task force. Administrators and department leaders have been planning for increased safety procedures that can be taken at every location. We are working on some possible scenarios:

  1. Enhanced Traditional Plan- We would continue school as normal with enhanced safety precautions in place such as increased hand sanitizer availability, increased frequency of cleaning of high touch areas, limited visitation to campuses, etc., in order to possibly prevent the transition to a hybrid or full distance learning option. (Again, this is our plan for September pending more restrictive guidance from the Governor.)
  2. Social Distancing/Hybrid Plan- Hybrid would be a combination of distance and face-to-face instruction with increased safety and disinfecting measures as listed above, which could be done in a variety of configurations. This would only be enacted if the Governor’s Executive Order required us to maintain a social distance (six feet), to limit the number of people in groups, etc.
  3. Full Distance Learning Plan- All students would participate in the learning of new material, continued standard pacing, interactive lessons, and assessments. This would be enacted if the Governor’s Executive Order closed schools again due to health concerns. (If we have outbreaks of COVID-19 in specific schools, we may enact individual school closures instead of school-wide closures.)

If BPOS is unable to open in early September due to a COVID outbreak, we will then push the start of our school year to a date in which we are allowed to open. All tuition will be adjusted accordingly to reflect the time missed.  For instance, If we open two weeks late then your tuition will be based on a 9.5-month model.  This model is equitable for all.

In the case that the entire school is required to close for a period of time mid-year, we will transition immediately to virtual teaching. We feel that once the children have acclimated to school and have developed relationships with teachers and friends, they can handle a longer stretch of virtual learning. This will also serve to maintain those connections in the interim while BPOS is closed. In the case that one classroom needs to be closed for a period of time mid-year, we will not offer makeup days, but the same rules will apply regarding distance learning.  It should be noted that if this were to happen, we will also extend our school year to make up for time lost and make equitable adjustments.

I encourage our parents to frequently visit our webpage and follow our social media for up to date and accurate information. There are many false rumors being disseminated which leads to unnecessary confusion. Everyone must understand there is no way for us to please all as we make these decisions. Our priority is to keep everyone safe while not making life more difficult for our parents. Each family situation is uniquely different. We fully understand your varied concerns about health and safety, distance learning, the importance of face-to-face instruction, parents needing to work, the economy, and all of the other unexpected consequences of not being in school or being in school in a traditional method. If for some reason, we can’t be in a traditional school situation, our goal is to find the best way to have our students safely in our buildings as frequently as possible to ensure the health and well-being of all.

***As we move forward, we are also taking into consideration that we have medically compromised students. Parents of students with a higher risk of severe illness can contact their school administration if needed before the Smart Restart plan is released. In July, school administrators will finalize plans with parents regarding their academic needs for the upcoming school year.

As we continue the BPOS 2020- 2021 COVID-19 SAFETY PLANS planning process, we will keep you updated. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach me at carmelo@brooklynpreschoolofscience.com.  My goal is to take the time to speak to each family member individually so that all questions are answered so please do not hesitate to reach out to me. Being that the school is currently closed, you can leave a voice message at 718-344-4631. You can also reach the Educational Director Maggie Stein at maggie@brooklynpreschoolofscience.com or the school administrator Maria Tantillo at mariat@brooklynpreschoolofscience.com.   Thank you for your continued support and positivity as we strive to do what is best for ALL of our students and employees during these challenging times.

Always Scientific,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *